Thursday 25 March 2010

Stale Cheques and Spinster Morality

Einstein is supposed to have said (paraphrased) that we should try not to become men of success, but rather to become men of value. It appears that I may have been barking up the wrong 'ambitional' tree!

In my short life I have changed course numerous times on account of the revelation of Einstein's sentiment. Four years have passed since I resigned a directorship, and walked away from a lucrative business contract that had expended years of establishing ground work, for the satisfaction of the desire to uphold the core value of the 'striving for integrity.' Two years later I walked away from a 98th percentile remuneration package at a London firm to pursue a core ideal of pouring out my life in the service of humanity rather than selfish materialism. Despite the apparent altruism, it never takes long for my keel to cut the path of least resistance to my nature of greed and self-centredness. Two years on I find myself again pursuing the upper tiers of maslovian utalitarianism and self actualisation, while others shred their bloodied fingernails as they attempt to claw their suffering families out of lives of poverty.

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." Is it becoming too late to cash this cheque?

No comments:

Post a Comment