Sunday 30 May 2010

Promises hidden in the night sky.

‎​When I was a child my father took me outside and we lay in the long grass in the middle of the african bush as we counted satellites and looked at the stars. That night he showed me how to find the Southern Cross and then taught me how to work out where South was using the Southern Cross as a reference point. He also showed me the 'false' cross. A couple of nights ago the Father God reminded me of the Southern Cross...and that like Noah it is my 'promise of direction' from God. Tonight as I walked through my front gate I looked up at the clear skies above Table Mountain and again saw the Southern Cross. In that moment I was again blessed to know that Gods promise remains.

In case you were wondering how exactly to find South. There are two ways.

The easy way is to imagine the Southern Cross as a Kite. Imagine the long spar of the kite or a line between the two stars at the 'head' and the 'foot' of the cross. If you extend that line out four lengths from the foot of the cross you will find the South Celestial Pole which is an imaginary spot in the sky. Then draw a line from this imaginary spot straight down to the horizon and you have found South!

The alternative more accurate way is to use the Southern Cross and its pointers. Extend the middle spar of the kite out from the foot of the cross as you did in the previous method. Then extend a perpendicular line from the mid point of the pointers. Where those lines intersect is the South Celestial Pole. Then draw a line from this imaginary spot straight down to the horizon and you have found south!

No comments:

Post a Comment