Thursday 1 April 2010

Sazakhela Primary School

I am always amazed at how many unworn clothes are packed in my closet. I am busy moving home, and have packed 3 crates of clothes... most of which i havent worn in months... most brand new.

I am not suggesting we all pack up our clothes and send them to third world countries... I learnt many years ago that guilt driven aid to third world countries is often part of the aetiology of the collapse of home grown industry in these countries. In the same breath I see my excess in stark comparison to the boys at Sazakhela Primary School. We recently arranged for a UK based School to send the unclaimed school uniforms in their lost property bin to South Africa, and gave them to these deserving young learners. What we write off as 'lost property' would be a prized possession in these communities.


No comments:

Post a Comment